Looking for a deliciously decadent dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth? Or a pairing for your afternoon tea? Look no further than these tasty chocolate hazelnut truffles. The best part? Dates and a touch of maple syrup add just enough sweetness without adding any refined sugar. A simple clean vegan treat to top off your delicious meal or enjoy as a snack. Prep time: 25 minutes / Cook time: na / Yield: 15-18 truffles
½ c. raw hazelnuts 12 Medjool dates, pitted 2 T. cocoa powder, unsweetened 2 T. coconut flour 1 T. coconut oil, melted 1½ T. pure maple syrup
1 t. pure vanilla extract ¼ t. coarse salt Optional Coatings ¼ c. hazelnuts or almonds, ground ¼ c. coconut flakes, finely shredded
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder + ¼ t. each cayenne pepper and coarse salt
1. Place pitted dates in a small bowl filled with warm water. Set aside to soak for 10-15 minutes.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with wax paper and set aside. Pour each selected coating, if using, onto a separate shallow, rimmed plate and set aside.
3. Add hazelnuts to a food processor and process until finely ground.
4. Remove the softened dates from bowl and drain off any excess water. Add dates and cocoa powder to food processor and blend until smooth, approximately 3-4 minutes. Scrape the sides, as necessary, to ensure mixture is thoroughly combined. Tip: Add a few drops of water at a time, if necessary, to achieve a smooth consistency, but don’t add too much.
5. Add coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt to the mixture and process until combined.
6. Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into 15-18 equal-sized portions. Roll each section of dough into a ball before rolling in the selected coatings.
7. Once coated, place on prepared baking tray and place in the refrigerator to chill for several minutes before serving.
Live, Love, Chat & Eat
If you love this recipe, please share it!