What to eat? This Spicy Chicken Satay recipe makes a great appetizer or a delicious light weeknight dinner when paired with some grilled summer vegetables and a crispy green salad. You can also easily double or triple this recipe for a larger crew!
Spicy Chicken Satay with a Peanut Dipping Sauce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ marinating time) Cook time: 15-20 minutes Serves: 4-6 (2-3 skewers per person) Additional equipment: 12 9” wooden or metal skewers
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to ½” thick and cut into 1” strips 3 T. soy sauce 2 T. sesame oil 1½ T. hot sauce 1 T. pure maple syrup 2 T. fresh lime juice 3 garlic cloves, minced 2 T. fresh ginger piece, finely minced Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Peanut Dipping Sauce ¾ c. low-sodium chicken stock 1/3 c. peanut butter 1 T. soy sauce 1 T. pure maple syrup ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 T. fresh lime juice 1 t. garlic powder ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped ¼ c. roasted peanuts, roughly chopped salt and pepper to taste
1. Place wooden skewers, if using, in a bowl of water until ready to prepare chicken. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, garlic, and fresh ginger. Season with a salt and black pepper, as desired, and add the chicken strips. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Turn chicken at least once while marinating.
3. To prepare the peanut sauce, combine the chicken stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, lime juice, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, around 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving container. Top with fresh cilantro and roasted peanuts and set aside.
4. To prepare chicken, clean the grates on a gas grill with a stiff wire brush and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Close lid and preheat grill to medium. (To prepare indoors, spray a grill pan with non-stick cooking spray and set heat to just below medium-high).
5. Thread chicken strips onto prepared skewers and place over direct medium heat. Close the cover and cook, turning once, until nicely browned and cooked through, approximately 4-6 minutes per side. (If cooking indoors, increase cooking time to 5-7 minutes per side).
6. Remove from heat and serve immediately with the peanut dipping sauce on the side.
Enjoy this delicious Spicy Chicken Satay recipe!