What to eat? Warm Black Cherry Crisp is a great fall dessert idea that you make in a cast iron skillet!
Frozen cherries are much easier to use than fresh for this recipe. Place frozen cherries in a small strainer set over a large bowl to collect the liquid while thawing. Reserve the liquid to use in smoothies and refreshing drinks. For example, you can combine some of the cherry juice with club soda and some crushed mint for a refreshing spritzer.
🤍 If you love this recipe, please share it🤍
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 30 minutes / Serves: 4-6
Warm Black Cherry Crisp | Cast Iron Dessert
Ingredients 4½ c. frozen black cherries, thawed and chopped ¼ c. honey, preferably local ½ t. ground cinnamon ½ t. ground allspice ¼ t. ground cloves 1 T. fresh thyme leaves
4 9-oz. oval cast iron mini-servers. (If unavailable, use a well-seasoned 10” cast iron skillet instead). Topping Ingredients 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats ½ c. almond flour ½ c. pecans, chopped 1/3 c. honey, preferably local 3 T. unsalted butter, melted 1/8 t. table salt
2 T. melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
Optional, to Serve Greek yogurt, homemade whipped cream, or sugar-free ice cream. Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
1. Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. 2. Combine thawed chopped cherries, honey, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and thyme leaves in a bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
4. Lightly grease the four 9-oz. oval cast iron baking dishes (or the 10” cast iron skillet) with coconut oil. 5. Divide the cherry mixture equally among the cast iron mini-servers and spread into an even layer. Divide the topping between the 4 mini-servers, as well, and spread into a thin layer on top.
6. Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the cherry mixture is nice and bubbly. Note ~ If using a 10” skillet, cover loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving plain or topped with some Greek yogurt, whipped cream, and/or sugar-free ice cream.
Garnish with a couple sprigs of fresh thyme, if desired.
Live, Love, Chat and Eat,
Kate & Crew